The Different Types of HGV Licences

The Different Types of HGV Licences

If you are looking to qualify as a HGV driver, there are many options available. According to the EU directive, anything that weighs over 3,500kg is considered a Heavy Goods Vehicle. Those who want to professionally drive these vehicles must be fully trained and have a licence. There is more than one type of HGV or LGV licence available, therefore you can pick the one you would like to obtain. The categories you can choose from a C 1, C, or C and E alongside the Driver CPC that is mandatory.

1. Driver CPC

Driver CPC is the standard qualification that all HGV drivers required in order to professionally drive and it stands for Certificate of Professional Competence. Drivers must, in order to obtain the Driver CPC, take part in a four part exam which consists of two theory sections and two practical training sections. Once you have obtained qualification, you will have to undertake thirty five hours of periodic training, evidence that every five years you have passed medical examinations must be turned in.

2. Category C1

Category C1 is the basic level of training for HGV and licensing, it is the very first you can receive. Essentially this is one step above the normal driver’s licecse in the UK. It will allow you to drive a vehicle that weighs 3,500 kg, as long as the vehicle in gross weight is less than 7.5 tonnes. The limits of what the form of the vehicle can be are very few – it can be set up as a truck, lorry or even a tractor in which a trailer is towed. Anyone who before 1997 passed their driver’s test also automatically has a C1 license, checking to see if this applies to you is worth it.

3. Category C

With a Category C licence, drivers are able to drive vehicles that exceed 3.5 tonnes; however they cannot exceed 32 tonnes. Category C is also known as Class 2 and this licence generally covers vehicles with a cab and trailer permanently fixed together. In other words, what is considered to be a “standard lorry”. The weight of your vehicle when you have this licence must not go past 750 kg. Within HGV training, this license is a stepping stone – a way in which you can move forward to obtain the category C and E license. To obtain this license, you must be over 18.

4. Category C and E

The most comprehensive HGV licence one can hold is the category C and E licence. Drivers with this licence are able to drive and handle vehicles that are draw bar or articulated. Entitlement is what the E in category C and E licence stands for, what it means is that the holder of the licenced can go as far or exceed 750 kg in weight. This type of licence is also referred to as Class 1, it allows the driver to drive any kind of large goods style vehicle that needs to be driven, this includes a double trailer.

Most importantly, to qualify for any of the above mentioned licenses, you must have a Driver CPC, to do so you will have to undertake thirty five hours of periodic training every five years.

Categories: Career

About Author